Friday, February 25, 2011

You are Here

You are Here is the title of my cartography project. The drawing is assembled in a layered fashion, beginning with pencil and ink. I proceeded to explore color with oil pastels and, layering more pencil on top of that as well as charcoal. The process was satisfying to me. I was glad to see what I could come up with and the results of thought and constantly working more elements into the piece. After much thought, a critique, as well as lots of just looking, I can pick out a few successful areas I would like to further expand on in my future drawings. Something about the character and color of the numbers was an interest to me, it was an intuitive thing that I just can't get away from. I also, enjoy creating pockets of tension using line and color combinations.




The way You are Here was read during the critique is not exactly what I was going for, yet it brought new ideas to the table. The interest in certain visual elements was satisfactory to me. I really get into working textures into a surface, and I appreciate the recognition of that. The whole ancient looking treasure map appearance was inevitably noticed by the audience, which was something I especially was not attempting. Yet, with the literal rendering of a map with a red dot on a spot can not be ignored. I feel in the future, I wish to figure out how to send less of a literal message. The white monumental 'Earth' with it's connected square of a piece of ground gave the viewers a sense that it was in the foreground and more important, yet overlooked. This is exactly what I wanted, given my message of the importance of the basics in life and the need to escape untrue boundaries.

2 comments:

  1. Katelin, I love how you went about this project, how you listened to your intuition and how you let the map lead you. Even though the treasure map thing did come out in the class critique, which is something you didn't want to happen, I think that that aspect is a very minimal one compared to how much you learned through this project. Watching you go from being unsure to being super excited about the project was great. Learning to not just copy a picture/draw is hard for any artist I think. To really listen to your internal voice, have patience and wait for the drawing to develop is priceless. I'm pretty sure you got it - this project proves it. Great job Katelin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job on this project. It turned out really well. I can tell right away that you were focused on the boarders because all of the lines, color, and shading stem from the borders. Furthermore, I got the sense that you wanted to break down the boarders and/or show how they aren't solid lines in the ground. They are more like imaginary lines that trap, and separate, and keep out people. I love the staining and layering or color and charcoal. This give the piece great texture and the contrast between the color and black and white, give it lots of depth. I can tell you had fun experimenting with the different mediums and I can't wait to see what you do for the nest project.

    ReplyDelete