Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Walk or Run

The title of this post is the new and improved title to Walker.Run., my most recent drawing. I decided the title was one of the weaker points in the piece. My ideation behind it mostly went into studying people's reactions to Scott Walker's budget reform bill. Sometimes I didn't have to say a thing, and I got people's opinions; sometimes when I asked, it became more than I wanted to hear. I am extremely repelled by political news and debate, even when I know it is important. However, I know there are more important things and I also know that whatever I hear and whomever it is from, it's never the full blown truth. This might be the part that frustrates me the most.

A study of figurative silhouettes was the start of the project, as a representation of the population - both of Wisconsin and United States. The bill does not only affect Wisconsin. My color choice has a trace of (but is not directly related to) representation of patriotism, using blue, red, silver, gold, and green. The image of the glamour associated with living in the United States is also represented in the shimmering colors. These colors are a commonality, but occur in different ratios and combinations to represent the opinions of citizens and the different levels on which people associate with them. I debated over representing Scott Walker as part of the population, I knew it was important but also knew that his represented opinion had to differ from the rest.

My choice of medium is india ink, pen ink, ballpoint pen ink, and crayon. I appreciate the variation in the image of the figures resulting from several different ways of applying ink. The crayon, being separate from or an overlay of the figures, creates a tactile texture that raises off the surface of the paper. I can see myself continuing with this medium.

Pictures to come!

2 comments:

  1. Miss Katelin, I love how your project functions in space, how it came into being and how it actually reflects what's going on in Wisconsin. The mixed medias work together so well and in such an interesting way so that I cannot take my eyes off the figures along with the "crayon globs" they play with. It's such a simple yet intricate layout with great beauty in it's simplicity - it leads me to believe that you have found something really amazing here that you can explore more as you wish. I sincerely hope that you do explore this more not only because I love it, but also because I feel as if you really do love it also. Bonne chance mon cher ami!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aesthetically, I love the minimalism you used to crate great negative space with the white of the paper and added value to the touch of color you used. The silhouetted people look great and have beautiful texture up close. I personally enjoyed the title "Walk or Run" because it is seems like a question that forces the viewer to choose one and thus reflect on there own reactions. This is consistent with you study of how people were reacting to the events. I'm impressed with your work and thought that this was a great solution to the project. I can't wait to see what you do next and I hope you decided to continue to explore the issues revolving around Native American Culture in the places project, as you did in you first project.

    ReplyDelete