Friday, February 18, 2011

Mapping

My piece is what most are going to look at as a very literal map with other items involved. It is Nebraska, however lacking any word labels. I did choose, however to add numbers for visual appeal and technical interest. I have reached the point where I have to stop, stare at the piece for a day or two, and write down crucial elements that can be added, taken away or changed. It has been a slow process, involving the gradual layering on and erasing and sanding off. Critiqued by friends along the way, I have come to the conclusion that the more I add, the more interest it holds. It is definitely a piece of much detail.

Looking around the studio at pieces done by others is of more interest to me at this moment than looking at my own piece. I feel that the atmosphere of the studio lends greatly to sparking new ideation, but could also muffle one's own voice if overdone. It is satisfactory to hear about each individual's interpretation of the mapping process. I enjoy thinking about how many hundreds of millions of art pieces are developed and how none of them will ever be exactly the same, even a sketch in some kid's history notes has the potential to develop into beautiful work. But then there is the realization that I will never get a chance to see all of it, or even half. Actually, all of the art that anyone will see in their life time is probably a tiny percent of that which exists. Thus, I hope to reach my potential creating limit - try everything, sketch as much as possible, and write down all of my ideas.

Now I have come to the question of a name.

Dear Shakespeare,
     What the heck is in a name?
 Sincerely,
     Katelin

After all, isn't it non-labeling and non-constraining the exact thing I am attempting to display here? Although, as I have learned from Worhol's Blow Job, a name can be extremely important.

1 comment:

  1. Dearest Katelin,

    Your map is the most literal map I've seen in the classroom also but that is not to label it "boring" or unoriginal at all. Your map, like you said, has so many layers and so many beautiful moments. No one will ever be able to create what you created. You tell your story so uniquely using your map and you tell it clear enough so that I feel as if I, the viewer, am actually able to see what you saw, understand what you understood and feel what you felt. I too am amazed by others art more than I am by my own because conceptually/emotionally, my art makes sense to me. But, on a Shakespearean note...I prefer my own name, Sandy, leaps and bounds over anyone else's. That just personal preference though. A name can be extremely important; it all depends on how you want it to be.

    ReplyDelete